“I would highly recommend Cumbria Law to anybody in need of legal services”
TERMS OF BUSINESS - updated DECEMBER 2020
1. Chambers will at all times abide by the Bar Code of Conduct when dealing with all clients.
2. Barristers and staff will adhere at all times to Chambers’ Equality & Diversity policy when dealing with all clients, colleagues, suppliers and others.
3. Our Barristers are willing to consider a variety of contractual arrangements. The ‘Standard Conditions of Contract for the Supply of Legal Services by Barristers to Authorised Persons 2012 - (Updated for the GDPR in 2018)’ applies to all instructions, unless alternative terms of work are specifically agreed in writing (you can read more about these terms on the Bar Council’s website. We also accept work on the basis of several other standard contractual terms that are common for barristers.
4. Members of Cumbria Law Chambers accept cases on the following payment terms:
- Hourly rates. Rates vary between £150 and £400 depending on area of
expertise and the nature and complexity of the work. Please contact Chambers to
- Fixed fee. Fees can be fixed for a specific instruction or task.
- CFA. We accept CFAs in all areas of privately funded work. The
appropriateness of a CFA agreement and any variant on the standard CFA model
will depend on the case and be agreed on a case by case basis.
- Block contract arrangement with volume providers of work to Chambers.
- Public Access contractual agreement.
- We do not carry out Legal Aid work.
Payment can be made by cheque or by BACS transfer.
We are happy to provide a cost estimate for any work on request.
5. All work carried out for clients will be on the basis of the written instructions received.
6. Chambers expects all professional clients to advise them immediately of any change of circumstances or amendment to the instructions already given.
7. The legal services we most commonly provide are under Contractual Law, Employment Law and Personal Injury and are detailed in the Specialist Sections on our website. We provide advisory services and advocacy in each of the areas listed.
8. In providing our services we aim to set and adhere to strict timelines so as to give clients certainty and peace of mind. However there are factors which may occasionally impact on delivery deadlines, including:
- Availability of the barrister;
- Availability of the client or relevant third parties;
- Complexity of the case;
- Amount of papers that need to be reviewed;
- Need for additional information or documents;
- Approach taken by the other side;
- Third parties intervening in the case; and
- Court waiting times.
The BSB Code of Conduct guides barristers in relation to these matters.
9. Where a named barrister is unable to carry out the work it will, with your agreement, be reallocated to another barrister of equal standing, experience and competence to undertake the work.
10. The information which you impart to Chambers will be received in professional confidence and any use of that information will be subject to your instructions, the Data Protection Act 1998 and our duty of confidentiality.
11. All contracts for work between our barristers and clients will be governed by English law, and any dispute will be subject to the jurisdiction of the English courts.
12. All barristers are authorised to practise by the Bar Standards Board and appear on the Barristers’ Register.
Chambers Guiding Principles
- to aim for the best result for you
- to approach your case with determination to win
- to have the resolve to succeed
- to work together as a team
- to keep our fees highly competitive
For information on Fees refer our Terms of Business
Please visit our specialist sections for more information.
Regulated by the Bar Standards Board
For a Free no obligation assessment of your case call 01768 486 508 or apply online and we will call you within 24 hours.
Tristan was patient, understanding and very helpful. He guided me through a difficult and stressful employment issue. I would not have been able to progress my case without his commitment, attention to detail, and guidance. I would highly recommend him to anybody in need of legal services.
Tristan advised us on landlord and tenant and planning issues in relation to the development potential of a retail site bringing his legal acumen and lay expertise to bear on the issues and opportunities. He went out of his way to travel to us and to the site. He gave us pragmatic and insightful advice which guided us in our decision on the investment opportunity. We would not hesitate to use Tristan again.
We have instructed Tristan on many personal injury matters over a 13 year period during which time he has provided a wide range of written work and advocacy and has represented our clients. He is firm yet empathetic and is always resolute to obtain the best result for the client.
Tristan explained things in layman's terms and was understanding to our concerns and demands. I will be recommending him to all my friends who need advice. Thank you again for your help and assistance.